Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 10

Albergaria to Oliveira, 19.8 km

A groggy start. I slept well because I put a blanket over my sleeping bag and was warm. They refused to dirty their bags. They didn't sleep well. Gyueon is using my old sleeping bag that I bought it and another one for my friend David online 5 years ago so we could sleep on Guemjeong Mountain (it overlooks Busan, South Korea). I nearly froze to death in it but we were literally outside. No tent, no shelter. We didn't even get behind a windbreak.

I figured since we wouldn't be sleeping outside (hopefully), it would be ok. JH and I bought new compact bags. His bag is crap. It's so crappy that the feathers don't even want to be in it anymore. When Gyueon got up, he was covered with feathers. I said, "good morning Chicken Boy." He smiled, or at least as close to smiling as he'll get before 1PM. He's so quiet most mornings that I wonder if he's sleep walking.

We decided not to go go the firehouse for showers. It just seemed too complicated and we such want to bother the volunteers. We washed up and packed up quickly, got our Credentials stamped at the fire house (we never met the priest or anyone else related to the church), ate breakfast and walked out of town.

For the first time, my pack feels heavy. Like it just wants to sink itself deep into the ground. I know for a fact it's lighter-- less water and no food. For the last few days, the top of my right foot has been hurting. Now it's my left. I guess as long as the pain moves around, it's not serious. Gyueon hasn't complained about his shoulders lately. JH's little toes are getting mangled.

It was a lovely day, crisp, with a clear blue sky. Very soon we entered a eucalyptus forest. It was very relaxing, a relief from the craziness of the night before. I appreciated the orderliness of the trees, equally spaced and all the same size. I looked at the peeling bark, the only feature that set them apart from the other trees, the only disorder. Suddenly I remembered that we'd forgotten to make a donation as thanks for the use of the basement.

We've noticed that many homes have large outdoor laundry tubs with built in washboards and have laundry hanging out to dry, even on rainy days. A country of optimists, I think. Today we passed through 4 village with huge community laundry troughs set up. Do people really use these, we wondered? As if on cue, a woman walked by with a rolled up carpet and within 30 seconds, it was on the tub and she was scrubbing it.

This explains why we've had so much trouble getting our clothes washed-- we don't stay in one place long enough.







No comments:

Post a Comment