Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 9, part 1

It was a leisurely morning. We slept in a bit and took advantage of free breakfast, enjoying exotic food such as eggs, bacon, freshly squeezed orange juice, and yogurt. We went back for seconds and thirds.

Agueda is the first town I've seen that looks to be prospering, with at least 5 large construction projects going on, and much fewer empty buildings.

The water front is very nice. There are a dozen or so men fishing, some with poles long to use to vault over the river.

The check-out clerk had told us in a clipped British accent told us the weather forecast-- rain. No surprise. So far we've only had light showers. Finally the sun broke through and the clouds dispersed. The real rain never found us. Somehow we ducked and dodged and managed to avoid it all day.

Then the dogs started barking again. One collie charged the fence followed by an angrily quacking duck. We congratulated them on successfully protecting the house and walked on.

A few bikers zipped by in colorful Lycra kits. Gyueon commented on how nice it would be to bike instead. We pointed out that he doesn't know how to ride a bike. "Still better" he insisted. An old man on a rusty bike with a basket squeaked by. "Still better?", I asked.

Gyueon is shy, even among other Koreans and we are trying to encourage him to try some simple Portuguese phrases like "thank you" and greetings. It's a project-- he barely speaks to us.

I know how JH feels about me when I'm with her family and friends. I'm naturally shy, and more shy in Korean. I know it's frustrating for her that I don't interact much with her family and friends. Maybe if I can help Gyueon, I can improve myself. Regardless, I will try harder.

JH's mother passed away a few years ago (her father, before we met). She was a wonderful person, kind and a fantastic cook. My only regret in my life is that I never got to have a deep conversation with her.



No comments:

Post a Comment